A stretch of the M1 near Milton Keynes is closed this morning (10/8) following a 'serious' road traffic collision.
Highways England initially closed both the Northbound and Southbound carriageways between Junction 14 and Junction 15 shortly after 12 am.
The Southbound carriageway has since reopened however the Northbound carriageway remains closed and is not expected to reopen for some time.
This closure, and subsequent severe delays, follows a "serious" crash that occurred in the early hours of the morning.
Thames Valley Police has been leading the response to the "ongoing incident" and has closed the road to allow officers to conduct work at the scene.
Highways England said in a statement: "Due to the nature of this incident we are not able to advise how long the closure is likely to remain in place.
"Road users are advised to expect delays on the approach to the incident and allow extra time for their journeys."
UPDATE - The southbound carriageway on the #M1 between J15 and J14 has re-opened. The northbound carriageway will remain closed while work continues at the scene. For more information, please follow this link https://t.co/LtUVhU0cLo— National Highways: East (@HighwaysEAST) August 10, 2021
MKFM has contacted Thames Valley Police for further information.
Road users travelling Northbound are advised to follow the hollow diamond diversion signs:
- From the M1 J14 exit slip road, turn left onto the A509 to the Northfield Road Roundabout.
- Take the third exit westbound onto the A509 Portway.
- Continue on the A509 Portway passing over 9 roundabouts to the A5/A509 Portway Roundabout.
- Take the third exit onto the A5 heading northwest.
- At the A5/A508/A422 Old Stratford Roundabout take the fourth exit onto the A508 heading northeast.
- Continue on the A508 through Grafton Regis and Roade to the M1 at J15 and re-join the motorway.
This is the second crash to have taken place on the M1 near Milton Keynes in the past 24 hours, as yesterday morning (9/8) there was a collision between a car and a lorry.