MK Dons' unbeaten league run ends with 3-1 loss to Hull City

Image Credit: Milton Keynes Dons Football Club

Milton Keynes Dons' run of games unbeaten in League One was ended with league-leading Hull City claiming a 3-1 victory at Stadium MK.

Both sides started the match brightly, each getting decent chances off early on with Hull's Hakeeb Adelakun sailing a shot from outside of the box just over the Dons' goalpost, with the home side coming close from a low-hit Stephan Walker effort minutes later.

The visitors were the first to strike, however, with a cross floated into the middle of the Dons box met by Josh Magennis, who slotted home despite being surrounded by white shirts.

The Dons equalised almost immediately with Ben Gladwin taking the ball down the left flank and sending a low cross into the Hull penalty area.

The ball deflected off a visiting defender, falling for Stephen Walker who coolly tapped in  to bring things back to 1-1.

Magennis wiped away Dons smiles moments later, however, with a rocketed shot from inside the box putting his side back ahead, with the home side unable to steer him wide enough of the goal.

The Dons threatened to pull back level again with a neat cross into the box being met by Cameron Jerome, whose tap wasn't enough to be Matt Ingram, who collected calmly.

Walker minutes later put pressure on Ingram once again, using some neat footwork out on the left flank before cutting inside and shooting at a tight angle - with the Hull keeper needing to punch the ball up into the air to take care of the danger.

The on-loan Middlesbrough striker had another great chance for the Dons after half an hour of play, driving into the Hull area from the right side before getting a strong shot off - sent directly into Ingram's path.

The end-to-end flow of the match couldn't provide any further goals prior to the half time break, with the visitors heading inside with their one-goal lead.

The Dons had an excellent opportunity just minutes into the second half, with Fraser running deep into the Hull box. The Scottish midfielder failed to get a shot away and appeared to be tackled, seeing the ball roll into Ingram's arms.

Fraser was involved with another great chance before the hour mark, seeing Gladwin's cross into the box narrowly miss him, deep inside the six-yard box.

It was the visitors who added the fourth goal of the game, though, with a cross float over the penalty area from a corner, finding the head of James Scott, whose effort bounced in off the post to give Hull a two-goal advantage with just 15 minutes left in the game.

Despite a number of close-range opportunities, from Walker and Sorinola in particular in extra time, it wasn't enough for the Dons to pull themselves back into the game and the visitors jump to the top of the League One table with all three points claimed.

The result sees the Dons drop two places to 17th in the league, ending a run of four matches unbeaten in the league, something manager Russell Martin will be hoping to forget about and move on from with Shrewsbury Town travelling to Stadium MK on Tuesday night.

MK Dons Line-Up: Fisher, Gladwin (73' Poole), Lewington (83' Cargill), Keogh, O'Hora, Sorinola, Houghton (65' Surman), Kasumu (73' Morris), Fraser, Walker, Jerome (83' Sorensen)

Sponsored Stories

On Air Now WEEKENDS - Liam Wood Noon - 4:00pm
Now Playing
Kiss Me Dermot Kennedy Download
Recently Played

Local News


  • Sun


  • Mon


  • Tue


  • Wed


  • Thu