Milton Keynes residents reminded of BBQ safety after fire causes "considerable damage" to house in nearby town

    Photo: Mix96

    Local residents are being reminded of barbecue safety following a barbeque fire that caused "considerable damage" in Aylesbury on Monday (2/6).

    The fire spread from a barbeque, to a garden, shed fencing and guttering and external fascia of a house. More than twenty firefighters from Bucks Fire attended the scene, and luckily nobody was injured.

    This has sparked a reminder of the importance of following barbeque safety, especially now that we are heading into the warmer months. 

    UK Fire Service Resources has shared some safety tips regarding usage of barbeques:

    General Safety

    • Make sure your barbecue is in good working order
    • Ensure the barbecue is on a flat site, well away from a shed, trees or shrubs
    • Keep children, garden games and pets well away from the cooking area
    • Never leave the barbecue unattended
    • Keep a bucket of water or sand nearby for emergencies
    • Ensure the barbecue is cool before attempting to move it.

    Charcoal Barbecues

    • Use only enough charcoal to cover the base to a depth of about 50mm (2 inches)
    • Only use recognised fire lighters or starter fuel and only on cold coals – use the minimum necessary and never use petrol
    • Never put hot ashes straight into a dustbin or wheelie bin – they could melt the plastic and cause a fire.

    Gas Barbecues

    • Make sure the tap is turned off before changing the gas cylinder
    • Change cylinders outdoors if possible or in a well ventilated area
    • If you suspect a leak to the cylinder or pipe work, brush soapy water around the joints and watch for bubbles – tighten to fix but do not overtighten
    • After cooking, turn off the gas cylinder before turning off at the controls to ensure any residual gas in the pipe work is used up.

    Sponsored Stories


    Local News


    • Sun


    • Mon


    • Tue


    • Wed


    • Thu