Volunteers at the Willen Hospice Bookshop in Stony Stratford are celebrating two years of running of the shop.
A team of 35 volunteers give up their own time every week to raise vital funds to support the end-of-life care provided by the Hospice, through the sale of books donated by the public.
Bookshop volunteers will be displaying some interesting ‘listicles’ in the Bookshop window about their two years of success during their anniversary celebrations. These include:
- 5000 volunteer hours worked
- 19 - age of youngest volunteer
- 87 - age of oldest volunteer
- 3000 years of experience amongst the volunteers
- 86 000 books sold at an average cost of £1.50 a book
- 105 metres of shelves containing 5000 books
- Harry Potter - most popular children's books
- James Patterson - most frequently donated books
- Fiction and crime fiction - most popular genre of books sold
- £149 - highest book sale "Railways of Great Britain" (sold on Ebay)
Volunteer Barbara Jackman said: "The Bookshop has had an amazing two years which is no doubt due to the loyalty and commitment of the volunteers and the never ending support of the public who donate and buy our wonderful selection of books. We are proud to support Willen Hospice and proud to be a popular part of the local community. We are looking forward to continuing to tempt booklovers everywhere to visit us on the High Street. Buy a book and support the Hospice - what could be better."
The Bookshop is inviting the public to join them on Saturday 31 March to take part in a fun morning including games such as Count the Swan, and a raffle with prizes. They will be joined at 11.30am by the Stony Stratford Bardic Team who will be reading poetry about the bookshop, with support from the Town Crier.
The Bookshop can be found at 30 High Street, Stony Stratford. To find out more, visit www.willen-hospice.org.uk/shop-with-us