Ex-Carillion boss fined £237,700 by regulator for 'reckless' behaviour

    Monday, 16 February 2026 14:01

    By James Sillars, business and economics reporter

    The former chief executive of Carillion has been fined £237,700 by the City regulator for his role in misleading statements by the ​company before its collapse eight years ago.

    The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) described Richard Howson's handling of the construction firm's communications with the market, ahead of its demise in 2018, as "reckless".

    The fine was imposed after he dropped an appeal over the FCA's planned penalty.

    Money latest: Fears for fruit and veg supply in coming months

    Carillion's collapse resulted in thousands of job losses and brought chaos to dozens of public sector building projects.

    The company, which was involved in building and maintaining hospitals and roads, owed close to £7bn.

    "As group chief executive, Mr Howson was aware of serious financial troubles in Carillion's UK construction business. He failed to reflect this in company announcements or alert its board and audit committee, leading to poor oversight," the FCA said.

    "Mr ​Howson acted recklessly and ⁠was knowingly concerned in breaches ⁠by Carillion of the Market Abuse Regulation and the Listing ‌Rules."

    Read more from Sky News:
    London-listed Rosebank in £2.2bn US takeover talks
    PM pledges social media crackdown to protect children

    Last month, the FCA revealed fines against two former Carillion finance ​chiefs. Richard Adam and Zafar Khan were handed penalties of £232,800 and £138,900 - respectively.

    Steve Smart, executive director of enforcement and market oversight at the FCA, said: "Carillion's failure was significant.

    "Jobs were lost, public sector projects put at risk and investors, who trusted the company to give them accurate information, suffered large scale losses.

    "That's why the FCA worked diligently to hold the company and its senior leaders to account," he added.

    Sky News

    (c) Sky News 2026: Ex-Carillion boss fined £237,700 by regulator for 'reckless' behaviour

    Sponsored Stories

     

    Local News

    Weather

    • Mon

      8°C

    • Tue

      6°C

    • Wed

      5°C

    • Thu

      6°C

    • Fri

      9°C